This Irish Guinness Brown Bread
· 1 cup quick cooking oats (not instant), plus more for sprinkling
· 2 and 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
· 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
· 1/2 cup brown sugar
· 2 and 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 2 teaspoons kosher salt
· 11-12 ounces Guinness beer (1 bottle), room temperature
· 1 cup buttermilk
· 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
· 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
· Preheat oven to 425°F and butter a 9 x 5 bread pan, set aside.
· In one bowl, add the oats, whole wheat and all-purpose flours, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
· In another bowl, add the beer, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
· Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stir until fully mixed. Batter will be wet.
· Pour the batter into the prepared bread pan, sprinkle more oats on top. Place in oven and then turn oven temperature down to 400°F. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
· Remove bread from pan and allow to cool on a cooling rack completely before slicing.